Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day Honey Bun Bites



I found this recipe at http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2010/08/26/homemade-treats-national-dog-day/ and it looked so good I just had to give it a try. 
It’s not only humans who should celebrate love on Valentine’s Day, especially when our furry friends shower us with it year round :)

Valentine’s Day Cinnamon Honey Bun Bites with Peanut Butter Drizzle


(about 24 mini buns)

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup water
¼ cup canola oil (I used vegetable because that’s all I had)
1 large egg
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. cinnamon
peanut butter

*Note: The original recipe calls for cinnamon, walnuts/pecans and cream cheese drizzle but I decided to make a few changes to fit the needs of my dogs and what I’m comfortable feeding my pups. I believe that if you’re in doubt or uncomfortable with an ingredient it’s always safer to make a substitution. (I do give my dogs cinnamon in some of their treats but I forgot this step and cut out the cinnamon completely by accident. Whoops)


Preheat your oven to 350o F and cover two cookie trays with parchment paper.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the water, oil and egg and stir until combined. Using your hands knead the mix into a dough.

Place the dough on a lightly floured cutting board and roll out until you have a rectangular shape.

Drizzle the honey over the dough. 
(In the future I want to mix the cinnamon with the honey before drizzling to see if it makes a difference)

Okay this is the part I messed up on, had to redo and ended up with a sticky mess of honey covered everything. The dough should be laid out in front of you the two shorter sides should be on your left and right, while the two longer sides should be directly in front of you.



*Note: Due to the difficulty of rolling the dough I couldn't take any photos but here's some of me attempting to explain with a piece of paper.

Now take hold of the longer side closest to you and roll it tightly. I rolled about a centimeter of the dough then pinched it together to make that nice cinnamon bun center we all seem to love so much, then continued rolling.

When your dough is completely rolled and pressed together firmly so that it stays take a serrated knife and cut each bun about a half an inch thick.


Place buns on parchment paper covered cookie trays and in the oven for about 13- 15 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown. Place buns on a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.


Fill a small Ziploc sandwich bag with a few scoops of peanut butter and microwave for 10 seconds or until it feels like liquid. Massage the peanut butter to one corner of the bag and snip the end of the corner off with scissors to make it easier to drizzle. Drizzle the melted peanut butter over each bun.


Place buns in the freezer for a few minutes to allow the peanut butter to set.
Remove and serve to the nearest furry friend!


Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. These look so great - yummy for us humans too! Thanks, you are my 1500th follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and congratulations! Your recipes look amazing, I can't wait to try some of the Harry Potter ones :)

      Delete